Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
kwendt

Wow... great ideas, everyone.

Okay... I so agree... it's too late to build up an inventory for this year. So I went to craft fair today in a nearby town. Was fun. I saw that LOTS of people did jewelry. And there were several vintage linen resellers. What seemed to go the best, was a lady selling purses that were really well made and great embellishments on them. Some funky, some elegant, small and large. There were 3 or so sellers of American Girl doll clothings ($12 per dress at one, $8/dress at the other). A Christmas booth, where a lady had found cutter quilts and cut them up to make small hearts, etc... which she then reworked to make Christmas ornaments. Seemed to me, that all of the quilters/sewers who embellished their items in some fashion... seemed to attract more attention.

The concept of having different price points - right on. I could see that a lot of people were selling small priced items. And along the way, there were some folks who literally bought $200 or more of such things, or bought bigger ticket items.

Another thing I noticed that really worked well... was the booths/tables that were delightfully decorated attacted more customers. Skirted/covered tables, tall displays using things like iron gates, Japanese screens, etc. NOT your average posterboard on an easel! Some booths had rigged up twinkly lights, soft Christmas music, scented candles on warmer mats, and even little vinettes with their products/wares. I was amazed.

So now, I think I have a better understanding of what's needed and can plan accordingly for the next year. I can see why one needs to start making things in February to have enough stock and variety! Phew.