Thread: PM issues
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:25 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by gigi10 View Post
What is BCC?
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
BCC is blind copy, meaning that the recipient of the PM does not see that it was also sent to another person as well.

It depends on which recipient.

Say I wrote a PM/email with the following situation:

To: QuiltnNan, Anna.425
cc: valleyquiltermo, judykay
bcc: gigi10, ibadmin

The To names will see all the To and cc names
The cc names will see the To and cc names.

The To and cc names will not know that the bcc names received a copy of this PM/email.

The bcc names will see the all the To and cc names but only each ones own bcc.
Each will not know that the other bcc names also received a copy of the PM/email.

My copy (From) of the PM/email in my sent folder will show ALL the To, cc and bcc names.

Here's more info:
http://email.about.com/od/emailnetiq...cc_and_bcc.htm

On a slightly related topic which would concern your regular email accounts - Just thought I'd pass this on:

I found out some really surprising info about bcc addresses few years ago.

The email message actually gets sent out with ALL the addresses (to:, cc:, bcc: ) attached. Something to do with SMTP protocol.

When it's gets to each recipient's mail server, then the other addresses are stripped out before being forwarded to individual mailboxes.

So technically, that individual email you received was sent to you with all the bcc addresses, but you never see them.

However, if a to: recipient had access to the mail server, it would be possible to view the bcc: addresses.

For 99% of the people who use bcc's, it is blind and works fine.

But in terms of legal, business and/or marital issues ;-) , you should just be aware there is a trail. And it is trackable. ;-)

I've never used it for "nefarious" purposes.

But I was really surprised - almost stunned - to learn that.

Especially when I think of some business emails that I've sent over the years.
Stopped that practice pretty quickly. ;-)

Last edited by MTS; 11-05-2011 at 10:28 PM.