View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
kwendt

Hi Sharon. Can you give us some more info? Hand sewing needles or machine needles? New ones or used ones? Your grammer seems to point to storing a single needle... is that what you meant?

Here's what I do.
I store my hand needles in one of my sewing machine cabinet drawers, inside a re-purposed box. I lined the box with felt, just 'cause I like it that way. Then the little packets of hand needles go in the box. The exception is the Cross stitch needles are in their OWN box, in a different drawer (they are in with the Cross Stitch supplies).

I keep an old round plastic prescription medicine bottle (label peeled off), the kind that has the child safety locking cap. That's what I put all my used needles to be eventually thrown away. Any type of needle that's 'dead' goes into that little bottle. I keep the bottle in a drawer next to my most used machine.

New Machine needles I keep in a clutch style, hand made holder. Someone here on the QB made these (grannyquilter, I think). There are clear vinyl pockets made to fit the packets/packages of Schmedt or Organ machine needles that I use. I have different sizes and types, this fabric holder holds them all! I love it! There's also a handy section where I can 'park' a needle that I take off the machine, but am not ready to throw away yet. I simply 'park' it in the section that's labeled for that style of needle. No more guessing what needles are new, or half-used or dead. No more guessing what size or type they are either.

Anyway, that's what I do.