View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM
MacThayer

As long as you're careful about the batting, there's no reason you can't tie a quilt. With the wrong batting, it can "bunch up" after several washings, leaving bumpy areas and flat areas without batting. I've had quilts like that.

Just from an historical perspective, there were two reasons for tying a quilt. One was for fashion and personal taste. These were usually pretty nicely done, and often used some kind of flannel, or at least the right batting, and have survived rather well. The other kind of tied quilt was the utilitarian type. We used to make tons of these in my family, and frankly, it was because we were poor. We made all our own quilts and bed linens. The quilts were made out of whatever was at hand: old clothes, worn sheets, worn curtains, socks with the holes cut out, you name it! If it was cloth, it went into the quilt. One never would have used "bought fabric" for a quilt. "Bought fabric" was for making clothes only. Which is why these quilts did not have any kind of batting. That's right, just two tops, or a top and a sheet, tied together and with binding around the edges. It never occurred to us to buy something like flannel to use as batting. That was "bought fabric", and it was totally illogical to buy perfectly good fabric and then hide it. I'll bet I made several dozen of these before I hit 16. Once I was lucky, and was given a worn out wool blanket for batting. That quilt was so warm! I had it until it fell apart, and then put the blanket in another quilt as batting. But I had to hand quilt it to keep the blanket from shifting around. This is why we often had several quilts piled on a bed for warmth. We lived "up North" and the quilts had no batting. This was not a new tradition. It was handed down by my Great Grandmother, and Grandmother, and Mother, all of whom brought it with them from the Great Depression. It was a widespread practice. People "of means" could have batting, and their quilts lasted, and ours didn't, because they were made of poor quality material to begin with. It had nothing to do with tying the quilt. Sometimes we used a worn out quilt as batting for a newer one. Sometimes, especially in winter when we weren't working the farm, we hand quilted the quilts. We had more time then. Those quilts tended to last a bit longer, even without batting. Of course, there was no such thing as machine quilting back then.

I don't tie my quilts anymore. It's totally personal. It's a reminder of things I'd rather forget, and that's all. I enjoy seeing other people tie their quilts. I'm sure it's a totally personal decision for them, and they are free to make this decision. Why should I care? My only caution would be to take care with the batting, that's all.

I'm free to make suggestions, but i have No desire to join the Quilt Police!

Warmest Regards,