Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 AM
deemail

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've noticed that many old machines are being adopted -

I don't know the difference between "antique" and "vintage"

Where are the ones that were made in the 1960s, and later, classified?

Are any other brands besides Singer "good" to acquire?

Is there a time period where the machines seemed "better" than other time frames?

I had heard that Singers went into a decline - maybe 1970s? Is that true?

Looking forward to answers. Thank you.
the only thing to judge antiques or any age household goods by is 'do i love it and want to live with it?' people don't buy these machines to make money... they like their unique-ness or their style or they remind them of grandma's machine... if you love it then you know whether it is too much to pay or not... i have 25 machines from my mother's toy (that really sews), in its original box to a 14 ft nolting longarm... i've bought coffin tops because they were lovely and well kept or because they were original in some way...(i have one 'knee control coffin top' that keeps its 'question mark-shaped knee control' in a clip in the lid till you take it out and 'plug it in'. then it hangs down off the side of the table to operate by your knee...i bought it simply because i had never seen one before.... i have 5 featherweights from 'perfect' to 'i have to buy it because no one else will love it'... buy what you love and it will always be worth it...if no one loves the metal machines of the 50s, 60s and 70s, then now is the time to get a good price.... not me, but if it's what you like, go for it! i have machines in almost every room....two matching Whites in cabinets are my night tables. One treadle in the dining room (under a window so i can use it when the power goes out), one treadle in the living room under a large painting and next to a chair for a side table. two different coffin tops sit on either side on the floor next to the treadle. featherweights are all over.... you have to play with this stuff and decide if you really want to live with them....