Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 AM
mea12

I have the Janome equivalent of the 6600 under Elna label (7300). I rarely break a thread but I use top-stitch needle for FM and did buy the "blue bobbin case" to use when doing FM. I read on another board that users of both machines like the blue bobbin case. I have extremely good control and feel the Elna FM's beautifully. I also owned a Juki 98e which is similar to the 1600 and had good luck with that one, too. But, for a machine that takes up so much space and really "should" be in a table or desk, I opted to go with one that had more versatility so I sold the Juki. No regrets. I do read/hear often that machines w/ vertical bobbin are better for FM than top-loads. That's probably true statement but I have no issues using the Elna for FM and the needle/bobbin case eliminated all eye-lashes from the back of the quilt. I also discovered that using start/stop with speed set at medium helped me keep very consistent stitches during FM however I mostly meander so I don't know if this would work in following a pattern/design. I personally do not like the accufeed foot for piecing. I feel it is too bulky and does not provide a crisp edge for me to follow so I bought the clear-view 1/4" foot and do not use the rudders (guides) that it comes with. For 1/4" piecing, I think the 1600p would be best. The 3.0 is such a nice machine with added benefit of the free-arm. It also has a more appealing stitch package and I love the "antique" quilt stitches on those models. If i were convinced all the bugs were permanently out of that line, I would sell my Elna and buy it. At the same time, I feel the Janome/Elna is a sturdier machine overall and will out-last the Pfaffs in terms of longevity and frequence of repair as they have a strong, proven track-record. I keep it because it is a work-horse and we get it done together and I'm not sure I'd feel the same about the Pfaff but i do LIKE its features best.