View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

Default Fabric Stash/Scraps

Since we moved from a 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apt. a little over a year ago, unfortunately I had to get rid of almost half of my fabric collection. Because I quilt and have made 12 or more raffle quilts for my church fair, people give me fabric from their stashes, when my sister passed away I inherited her stash, plus other sources in addition to my fabric shop/quilt shop purchases. It was the hardest thing I have had to do, after leaving our home of 33 years, but I gave the majority to my best friend who passed a lot to a women who belongs to Caring Covers, a group that makes quilts for children in hospitals, etc. My DH wanted me to get rid of all of it, but I finally stood my ground and said "enough is enough", I'm not getting rid of any more fabric. In July I made the family reunion quilt without buying additional fabric - my family members sent fabric (this year's color was navy blue in memory of my sister who passed away 2 years ago - each family has a color so we can tell who belongs to whom), I had th3 background fabric and thanks to my BF who saved a very large piece of fabric, I had the backing fabric as well and my niece donated the batting. She was also the one who won the quilt. Funny how things work out. But in moving I discovered 12 hand pieced blocks that I had forgotten about, plus 2 block of the month quilt, a precut kitty quilt and lots, lots more. Now that my back is better, I hope to be able to do lots more quilting before Christmas. It's always good to know that when I want to make a quilt, I have lots of fabric to choose from without going out. However, I just had a craft fair, so the money I made will go towards my next fabric/quilt shop visit.