View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 AM
dharry1215

Default Remake of Vintage Grandmother's Quilt

I have had this quilt top for years and it is hand pieced by my Grandmother. I would like to finish the quilt for my niece(this would be a gift from her Great-Grandmother and myself). The problem is there are a couple of blocks that need replacing due to frayed fabric, also, the border was only attached to 3 sides. There is also on the bottom some half blocks - not sure what Grandma was thinking here.

Anyway I'm thinking I Need to remove the pink border, since it's only on 3 sides and possibly replace with some fabric that would match or just put binding with no border. Repair/replace the frayed blocks using the blocks from the last row after the half block row. Maybe remove those last 2 rows from the quilt and use somewhere else. This would still be a very large quilt with the last 2 rows removed. Currently it hangs over a King bed about 6 inches. I'm new to machine quilting so I feel a bit over challenged anyway and thought it would be more manageable to make it smaller. Plus I need some of the blocks from that last row to replace the damaged ones.

I hate to change Grandmas quilt too much but I want to make it usable and attractive.

Any suggestions and ideas I would appreciate. Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails grandmas-quilt-003.jpg