Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 AM
MoanaWahine

I am just getting over one of those times. I learned to sew from my mom when I was a young teenager. I did not do much in my late teens. I tried to pick it back up in my early 20's, but was unhappy with the selections that were available. I tried to get into quilting then, but that did not work. I then picked it back up in my early 30's when I started to have kids. By then, the selection of fabrics were more to my liking. I really enjoyed the process of quilting at this time also and the fact that I had these little babies that I could make quilts for. About three years ago, things slowed down and came to a stop. I would always look at mags and pick them up when there was something I liked. I looked at fabric and did the same, but that soon stopped. My family finally got back in one location about a year ago and my stuff still sat. I would venture into my sewing area, but nothing was happening. My boys and I went to MN (visit family) this past summer. While there, my Aunt, mom and I went to a Quilt Show. Always a fun thing. I also helped my mom pick out color choices for her GFG from her stash and she gave me some small kits she was not going to make. These events started my juices flowing again. When we got back, I was surfing the internet and ran across this site again. I had seen it earlier in the year, but just did not get that interested in it at the time. This time was different. Everybody on here and the support that I was seeing along with my vacation jump started me again. Since Mid July I have completed the tops for 2 table runners, 1 table topper, (gifts from mom) and 2 lap size tops (for my kids non the less). I have also completed 1 lap size quilt including the FMQ for a benifit for a friends little boy, 3 small Halloween wall hanging, a mug rug, and 3 mug cozies. I have 2 quilts that I am FMQ on and I call this my learning time. I also have two separate tops in various stages and trying to teach my 9 year old the fine art of sewing. All this on top of being a mom and wife. Needless to say, my juices are definitely flowing now and I am loving every minute of it. I think that there are times that a break is needed. For some people, the break can be longer than others. For me, it was a longer break but I am ready for more. So glad that you are able to get back into sewing again. I know that it is a big stress reliever for me.