View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Rosa

Default Finally trying! (warning sort of long)

Hello!

I sew. You know make curtains, the occasional crafty thing just basic sewing. I'm more into card making and playing with paper. HOWEVER, my mom is quite the quilter and is very good at it! AND, my very dear friend that I used to work with who never sewed in her life bought a Babylock Quilters Choice and within a year traded for the Babylock Symphony and you should see the awesome quilt stuff she makes!

It all started last fall. I got Mom and my friend together and of course they hit it off right away. We all had the same project to work on a Desdan Plate Poinsetta table topper with coasters from Nancy's Notions. To me that wasn't quite quilting it was one of those "crafty projects". But, I was told the Dresdan Plate thing is actually a quilt tool. Well, I didn't think that qualifies me as a quilter. Fast forward this fall we are all working on a quilt! We each purchased the fatquarter bundle from the local quilt shop (actually I gave mom hers for her Birthday last fall) and were given free instructions on making a quilt. So, we are off an running! We work on it together in steps and if we don't get something done it's "homework" for the next get-together. We got together the past Saturday and I made all my blocks. Yes it's an easy quilt! I have to "square" them (Mom says to) so that is my homework.

Why did I do it? Take a step to become a quilter? I wanted a connection with my Mom, to learn something valuable from her (not like she hasn't given me all kinds of awesome wisdom) and to do something fun with a friend I adore!

I have an old Viking that my husband bought me the year before we got married and just two Christmas's past he bought me a Babylock Sophia (embroidery machine). I use Sophia as she is more modern with features like needle down and it has this cool threader thingy that is just awesome! I have trouble with my bifocals and threading the needle! Oh, it even cuts the thread!

So, I'm sure if I doubt Mom I will be on these boards searching for directions, clues or an occasional "Mom told you so".

That's my story!