Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
Are the manuals for the FW's downloadable? The plate thing that moves with the thread on it looks like it should have 2 screws, but there is only a hole to screw one. I think the other one was busted off at some point. If I could figure out the name of the part I could probably buy another one.

Mom had a bunch, like 20, bobbins, all with a ton of holes in them. I think those are for the FW. There is one that doesn't have the holes. I don't know if it would go to her FW or not. Are there any tricks to tell the difference in sizes in the bobbins? I don't know what happened to the feet of the machine. There's only one on the machine and I can't find any other attachments.
Hi there. Yes, the white, powdery stuff on the FW wires is usually a sort of dusty stuff that's caused by age/reaction of the wire coating to humidity. You can wipe it off, don't ingest it. lol. Graham Kendrick's 'Featherweights to the Gentry" website in England has great info about this sort of thing. Also, the sew-classic.com web site too.

The top cover you are talking about is a 'spool pin cover'. One the cover (and the top of the machine) there should be two holes. Either there will be two, small screws or 1 small screw and one rivit fastener. You can easily order them off ebay, or the sew-classic site (I am not affiliated with any site). Search for spool pin cover screw, etc.

Re: bobbins. Featherweights (221's and 222's) and the 301 slants take the same size bobbins. Best way I can describe them too you: they are the same diameter looking as all the other old singer metal bobbins BUT they are not as thick. There is a great 'bobbin identifyer' page/.pdf on the web. I'll attempt to attach it later. Basically, your bobbin should fit into the bobbin case so that it's flush. There should be no 'bobbin' sticking out. If there is, that bobbin is for another machine. Hang onto all the bobbins you have. The new repro/replacement ones do not seem to work as well in my FW.

FW... there are other parts you should replace as you refurbish your FW. The feet can all be replaced YES! Buy 4 new ones off ebay, but save your orig. screws. You'll need them. Buy all 4 new, so they are the same height. Either the 221/FW or the 301 feet will fit your FW. Also replace the cloth/felty liner (oil drip catcher) that's in your bottom tray. Simply unscrew the big screw, pull off the bottom tray, and peel off the old, nasty, smelly liner. Clean and replace with a new one. Again, you can find them on ebay. The little felt circles that go under your thread spools actually serve a real purpose on all machines, buy em at your local sew shop or ebay, sew-classic, etc. Manual's you can buy almost anywhere, see Miriam's post.

Keep us posted of your progress! You will love your FW... especially because of it's wonderful family history and because they sew really really well. Pay attention to how you thread it, FW's are known for making 'thread nests' in the bobbin area - mostly due to operator error! (Ask me how I know!)lol. There are many good web sites for teaching you how to correctly sew on them-to avoid nests AND what to do if you get one. Mine FW sews great!