View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Sierra

One of the first quilts I ever made was for my oldest daughter and is what I think is called a "water-color" quilt. It was a rendition of Monet's Garden in one inch squares. Took me 3 years to make it because I couldn't "see" what I was doing after a few days of working on it. When it was finally done I used floss (well, my dh did it for me because I have arthitis and can't tie knots) and choose colors that blended in well, put them on corners of squares, knots in the back, and it was tied w/o affecting the front picture. NO WAY would I have wanted to try to figure out how to machine quilt it. And NO WAY would I have wanted a LAQ to put a lovely pattern on it. It was complete as is. It is about 40 X 60". Also, it won viewers choice first place in original wall art (which is what dd wanted) at the Sonora fair a few years back.

By the way, if you want to drive quilt shop people crazy get 1/4 yard of lots of bolts. Hit a great sale in Tucson when Joann's was moving to a new location. Showed up at the cutting line with 22 bolts, all of them 1/4 yd cuts except for one 1/2 yd! When she looked shocked I told her "You people make us into quilting addicts and you have to support our habbit!" It gave her a laugh and relaxed the poor people behind me.

Last edited by Sierra; 11-07-2011 at 08:51 AM.