View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
kbeth

Default Help: quilt still stiff after 1st wash

Hi, lovely quilters! This is my first time posting here, but definitely not my first time at this board. I've been sewing for most of my life, but just completed my first quilt and need the advice of the more experienced. I made a baby quilt to give as a gift at a shower this week and decided to wash it first so that it would be soft before I wrapped it up. I just used the safest thing I had on hand, which was some Woolite. (*wince* That was probably a novice mistake, I'm sure.) I washed on cold/gentle and dried on low. When I pulled out the quilt, it was still quite stiff, possibly more stiff than before I washed it. What should I do? I don't really have the time or funds to go out and get any special products before the shower. Would washing it again and adding Downy fabric softener be safe? Should I just go ahead and use my liquid Tide this time? I'm wondering if the Woolite wasn't enough to get the sizing out, and maybe just angered it instead. The quilt is made with Moda cotton and Warm & White batting. I've attached a picture of the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails dscn9270.jpg