View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 AM
aneternalpoet

Here is the baked ziti recipe I showed the photo of.. However, I tweak my casserole , every time I make it - I rarely use recipes for anything - but for cakes, and that, oh yes, gotta make those just perfect for the flattering of the figure huh?..
Anyway, back to the ziti - its one of the versatile recipes that you can adjust for your families taste.. *This recipe calls for ham*, which I do not do. I add either sauteed veggies - red bell peppers, onions, fresh mushrooms, and spinach, or if I need meat , I do italian sausage, or kielbasa that is sauteed in some peices, and well drained.

FOR THE SAUCE
2 TBSP butter or margarine
3 TBSP flour
1/8 tsp nutmeg
salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste( I am not picky, black pepper does just fine )
2 cups milk, heated

FOR THE PASTA:
1 cup or more - grated cheese: Parmesan, mozarella , ricotta-optional ( or like me, I throw in some small chunks of cream cheese as I like that creamy calorie yummyness -shame on me
7 oz cooked ham, chopped *see my note above*
1/4 cup butter
salt and pepper to taste
l4 oz short pasta (penne, ditali, maccheroni, ziti, mostaccioli, etc)

FOR THE SAUCE:
HEAT milk the milk in a saucepan or in the microwave and keep hot.
MELT the butter in a saucepan over very low heat till just bubbling.
REMOVE from heat making sure butter does not turn brown or burn.
ADD the 1 T of flour to the butter, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon till smooth - then slowly add the rest of the flour and stir till smooth.
RETURN to medium heat and add 1/4 cup of milk at a time. When milk is absorbed by the butter-flour mixture, add a little more increasing quantities as you go along.
ADD nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste and continue stirring with the sauce at a slow bubble till sauce has the consistency of heavy cream.

At this point I add some marinara sauce, or straight tomato sauce with Italian spices to the white sauce. Usually a cup or two where the color turns it a girlie girl pink, so hide it from your men until it comes out of the oven - they will say " I ain't a girlie girl, and I ain't eatin that!! .. to which I would reply.. Go hungry, cuz I WILL! hehe.

FOR THE PASTA:
COOK the pasta in about 6 quarts of boiling, salted water (about ten minutes). Drain and rinse. Return to large pot where you will mix it all together.
RETURN the sauce to low heat ( if you made it before, and it cooled down ) and add the grated cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted well into the sauce. Add a little at a time to the noodles of your choice, and mix well.. I usually keep some extra sauce to spread on the top if it looks to dry.. The amount of sauce you make will be up to you to mix in - sometimes I need to add more depending on the noodles.

Add more shredded mozarella cheese to the top in a large sprayed casserole dish, and for about 15 minutes , I cover with foil thats also been sprayed with my friend " PAM " because we don't want any missing cheese left on top as it bakes.. After 15 minutes or so, I take it off, and let it finish baking, and gets the cheese a little crusty on top..
PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees F.
I hope it makes sense .. its basically a glorified homemade macaroni and cheese with the white sauce.. I just love to play with my food, so taking after that guy that sings, " I did it MY Way " , I always do it my way..

Last edited by aneternalpoet; 11-08-2011 at 09:08 AM.