Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 AM
miriam
Power Poster

The most unusual thing I have ever made was 2 WWII officer's tents. The tents were sewed on an old Singer walking foot sewing machine. I used green canvac treated canvas material. I went to Fort Knox and the museum curator showed me micro files with patterns, I found the pattern, printed it out and sewed the tents. It was like sewing on a crayon. I had to constantly clean the treatment off the machine, my hands and table - the stuff was gross. In the end I had no scraps - the design was very efficient. The tents were wall tents- the walls were split up the sides and were made to roll up for air to go through. There was a little door on the front of the tent for air to get through or maybe a stove hole - I don't really know why it was there. The tents each had an awning to go over the tops with an air space for insulation. Then there was a third awning that went between the tents. I never saw the tents set up. I did hear that two WWII vets looked at it and made the comment that they didn't think there were any of those left. So I must have done something right.