Thread: batik question
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Sierra

After purchasing fabric I wash all fabric in hot water and put in the dryer until almost dry and lay it out to finish drying (got to hit that window when they are close to dry but haven't wrinkled yet so I don't have to iron). I also use a white and/or a clear pan or bin to wash new fabrics in that I suspect might run and to let them shrink if they are going to. Then I throw them into (get ready for bragging) my new front loader set on "spin" and then throw them into the dryer until they are almost dry. Over the years I've found that dryers shrink as well as washers so I always use both. BUT, the important reason I concentrate on bright/dark fabrics is so I can take any seriously bleeding fabric and treat it with salt in cold water to help set the color. Busy mamas or clueless nephews won't think about being careful when they wash the quilt so I do what I can to eliminate any bleeding or shrinking problems. Also, I try to remember to put a note on the quilt telling the new owner to use the gentle cycle if they have an agitator machine! After "only" seven years two of my quilts started having serious problems, and the mama only washed them every two weeks in her agitating washer along with all the other clothes (ie. on "regular" cycle). Glad they're being used. And they do have a lot of allergies so clean is important.

Last edited by Sierra; 11-09-2011 at 07:21 AM.