View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
NJ Quilter

I don't know if I can adequately answer your questions but I'll give you my thoughts. The drape will be dependant upon 1) your batting; 2) how densely you quilt the piece. Do you have the time to get the quilt done by it's desired date if you hand quilt?

I am almost exclusively a hand quilter for a variety of reasons. I like machine piecing but I also like hand work. I usually do my piecing while DH is out/working and I can do my quilting while he's home and we're just relaxing. I usually do bed-sized quilts so portability isn't really a primary concern although if I'm going away for a few days I will take it with me. Just about everyone I give a quilt to loves the fact that it is hand quilted because they see me work on others and know that I've put that amount of work into theirs as well. I enjoy the process.

All of that said, I also do some charity quilts and they require the quilts to be machine quilted. I do those as well. It's nice seeing the completed project but there's not really any of 'me' in those quilts.

Good luck with your decision and if you opt to hand quilt - enjoy the process - it's not a race!

Edited to add: Not to refute what the others have said about sturdiness of handquilting...I've made several and handquilted them all. When they've been given to the new moms for baby it's with the instructions - USE THIS QUILT. It was made to be used and loved - not just admired from afar. Haven't had one come back yet that fell apart and haven't heard about any of the other bed sized quilts that have fallen apart from washing either. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by NJ Quilter; 11-09-2011 at 01:31 PM.