View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 PM
deemail

Originally Posted by Mamatron View Post
I have been wondering what I could make DS's teacher, looks like I need to find a tote pattern. Thank you.
I make tote bags on the second night of any of my sewing, or serging classes. This gives me a good idea of everyone's sewing skills and gives them a large bag to carry everything to class for the rest of the semester.
1. Get 3/4 yd. of upholstery fabric from a remnant bin
2. trim off 3 inches along the 54" side and set aside for strap
3. trim the remaining fabric to 24" x 54"
4. fold in half, sideways to make a pc 24" x 27"
5. with RS together, sew sideseams flat from top to bottom
6. while bottom is folded flat, mark crease with chalk along folded edge, several inches in from each side
7. now open side seam, match seam to chalk mark on bottom, putting pin thru to match up
8. now sew straight across the corner at any place you like...perpendicular to the seam/chalk mark, I like 3"...the seam will make a triangle which gives you a 'box' bottom
9. fold triangle-shaped corners to inside, extra layers make better bottom
10.Top hem --Turn bag RS out, turn top down 1" and then again, another inch, or bind
11.Cut pc of heavy (or 2-3 layers) of cardboard, to fit bottom of bag (approx 24" x 3" [or appropriate width depending on your choice]) for step 8.
12.Push cardboard into bottom, as you turn RS out
13.Strap --serge, hem or bind one long edge
14.Fold strap in thirds longways, raw side first, hemmed side last. Now stitch thru all layers several times, about a 1/2" from edge and then 1/2" apart (you can put a layer of batting inside if you like...gives more body)
15.Attach strap several inches inside or outside, centering the strap on the sideseam. Sew a box around the attached section, on 4th side of box, turn catty corner and make one leg of 'X' in the box, sew to opposite corner and repeat, finishing the 'X'.... this makes a strong connection for those heavy bags.

Many times my students tell me this is their favorite project and they continue to make them for gifts and specific projects.

Below is my current favorite, forest green vinyl that i quilted in green roses and leaves... big, soft and incredibly useful...
Attached Thumbnails qu.bag.dee.tote.green.1.png  

Last edited by deemail; 11-09-2011 at 11:28 PM.