Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Cosy

There is a gentleman in our area whose job it is to drive the county roads looking for whatever needs repaired, highwaywise. He always carries with him an extensive 1st aid kit, drinking water, shelf stable snacks, blankets, even a couple of teddy bears. Not for himself, but for any emergency he comes across. He too often is the first one on the scene.
When I was younger, I waited tables for a time. One day, a group came in for lunch, and just listening to them talk, we realized it was a family who had just come from a funeral, and was eating lunch before dispersing. None of them were local. We all chipped in the shift's tips to cover their dinner.
I was hospitalized out of town for a week or so. One day, a lady came in to my room and said, "You don't know me, but my dad said I had to come visit you."Her dad was our nieghbor, and she lived in the town where I was.! She also offered to have any of my family come and stay with her while I was hospitalized.

My nieghbor had her knee replaced, then a few weeks later fell and broke her pelvis. Just about the same time, her husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer. One of our nieghbors took over their lawn care. I have been doing their meals and laundry.

There are several elderly couples and widows in our nieghborhood. Every time we have snow, there is a big race to see who will do some elses driveway!
I love my nieghborhood!