Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
jljack

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
I have been following this New Home treadle machine, on Craigslist, and the price finally dropped to $50.00 so I put in a call about it. The man was even advertising free delivery and he dropped it off yesterday. He said that it had belonged to his grandmother and they had been using it as a piece of furniture.

It has an interesting decal on the bed of the machine. There is a greyhound type dog with the words "light running". I wonder what that meant? There is a bit of rust on some of the metal pieces that I'm hoping to get off but I'm not having much luck with the bobbin winder, which I have already tried polishing. There is some pitting and corrosion under the rust. Either way, it's a beauty and is now adorning the space under my kitchen window.
Try Barkeepers Friend (looks like Bon Ami can) for the rust on those metal parts. It takes it right off. Sprinkle some in a saucer and make a paste with water, then you can use a toothbrush, a rag, a Q-tip or whatever to scrub off the rust. It's great and will not damage the metal. I just cleaned up a 1890 Davis and used it...did a great job!!