Thread: Learning to FMQ
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by cinnya View Post
WOW WOW WOW....You did this on a regular machine????? This is amazing,I didn't even realize that was possible.
Thank you! I'm still not as good with it as I hope to be someday and some people are absolute magicians with a regular sewing machine. I have a long way to go, but the process is so much fun that I don't really mind that I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be.

The Texas quilt was pieced and quilted on my 1947 Singer model 15-91. I quilted the "center" part of the quilt, then I put the borders on and quilted those. The needle thread was "Tapestry" and "Treasure Chest" by Superior and the bobbin thread was Bottom Line Red. (which is actually more of a burgundy color) It was pretty much a waste to use that expensive a thread on the top because the quilting is all but invisible on the top. It probably would have been better to use that red on the top and the variegateds on the back.

The pattern is called "Wickedly Easy," and it lives up to its name - those tops go together so fast your head will spin. I've made three of them in these Texas prints - and I'm really DONE with them, but I'll probably use the pattern again. It's here: http://www.byannie.com/free-patterns/

I thought I was doing good with my little swirls lol.
And I can guarantee that you ARE doing good! Swirls or meandering or flowers or leaves - it's all good - and every bit of practice makes us better and enables us to finish our own quilts, right? Plus you're progressing and having fun with it at the same time.

I will look for this book.Thank you so much for showing us
You're welcome! I hope you find it - I think it's terrific for beginners and intermediate quilters.

I love how she's provided three different ways to quilt each quilt - isn't that where a lot of us stumble? What design to put where? I have a terrible time with that.

Good luck and have fun!