Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
cmw0829

Default Help with Flying Geese - Questions on Size of Block Before/After Sewing into Quilt To

Flying Geese seems to be a popular question today.

My understanding is that a flying geese unit is twice as long as it is high. But I'm confused. Is this before it's sewn in to the quilt or after?

Yesterday, I posted this thread with a picture of the block I want to make.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post4652696

My finished center block (after sewing it into the quilt) will be 7 x 7 so I would cut the block 7.5 x 7.5. I thought that the flying geese blocks should be 3.5 x 7 after sewing into the quilt - twice as long as it is high. So my finished unit before sewing into the quilt would be 4 x 7.5.

Then I was looking at a post that referenced flying geese rulers. All of the finished units (before sewing into the quilt) seem to be twice as long as they are high. For example: Eleanor Burns has a ruler that's 4 x 8 finished size (before sewing into the quilt). But then after sewing into the quilt, the block would be 3.5 x 7.5.

I'm so confused. I'm creating my own pattern so don't have direction on this. I guess I could do this however I wanted but I want to be sure to do it "right" so that it looks well-balanced.

Thanks in advance.
Cathy