Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]285786[/ATTACH]

Sorry Monica, I have been taking care of a sick grandson for a couple days!

I did get the Hales Crescent a couple days ago. It is a really cute machine - looks sort of like a Two Spools, but it is a vibrating shuttle. I got the machine, cabinet, original manaul, and 3 shuttle bobbins for $10. The machine itself is worth $10! Now the bad part, the machine is in great shape - owned by the same family all its life. The cabinet, though, is going to need some major repair work. DH welded the treadle irons - that came out great, but the whole top of the cabinet has to be re-done - new veneer, even some of the boards under the veneer are split! Now, he has 4 he has to re-do (I am almost finished with the cabinet for the 319w).

Now I am trying to find some information out about the Hales Crescent! They were made by Johnson, Flanders and Co. between 1865 and 1883 - that is all I can find out? I am sure this machine is from the early 1900's not the late 1800's, but according to the records it can't be because the company was out of busines by 1883? I also find nothing on ISMACS needle site about needle size. It appears to take a Boye #10 like a Davis? Geeze, I am always getting these mystery machines!

Nancy
Nancy, Pretty machine! Looks like a Davis or National. In my opinion more like a Davis NVF body, just minus the walking foot, reverse tack, and stitch length guide is located in different position.