Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Ethel A

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
Originally Posted by Ethel A

I thought that it was a relatively harmless and honest mistake. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I was just taken aback by his reaction and his comment about buying "discount fabric." ...
I think I was correct for saying something, but now I have a bad taste in my mouth about this store. Would you have let it go and not said anything at all, and YOU eat the $6 in fabric that was never given to you? I wasn't concerned about the six dollars as much as the 'principle' of it. What are your thoughts?
I'm confused about what you did in the end?
Did he correct his mistake or did you simply leave? :(

Obviously the mistake was his. He didn't seem to distill what you were conveying when you brought it to his attention. It seems as if he was more concerned with the price differences in the bolts than the fact that he couldn't complete the math successfully.

Are you co-mingling issues here a bit though? It sounds as if you felt guilty for requesting the small increments, and those feelings may have influenced your permitting the clerk to continue on with HIS mistake. People order small increments all the time, honestly there is no reason to feel like you are putting anyone out for doing their job. This problem isn't about what you purchased, it was what he did, which was likely a math error -- fractions are hard! :lol:

When I don't stand up for myself at moments like this, it is always harder on me. I get really upset and it lingers. What I usually discover at the bottom of it is that I am disappointed for not digging deep and getting assertive right at the moment. So, I guess I'm mad at myself more than anything else.

I would definitely contact the owner (related or not) and express your concern with the mistake, the uncordial response, and let her know whether the situation was or was not resolved to your satisfaction. Can you drop her an email? Keep in mind that everyone makes mistakes including not being polite at times. Lord knows what he could be going through in life. However, the shop owner needs to know what is happening with her business while she's not there. Perhaps she has been wondering why some of her customers have not been in so often lately! :shock:

I pointed it out to him. I stood up for myself and pointed it out to him.

My feelings of sadness / disappointment / anger stem from the clerk's immediate knee-jerk reaction that I was wrong and he was right; embarassment that I was pointing out someone else's error (I never like to point out someone else's error); and then being told (in a condescending manner) that I was buying discounted (translation to him = "cheap") fabric.

He did make me feel guilty for asking him to cut six inch increments from ten bolts of fabric. After I took the bolts to the cutting table, he told me that he had no problem doing it 'this time' since the store was empty and normally, they have a limitation on the number of bolts (had the store been busy).

If cutting six inch increments from ten bolts was NOT AN ISSUE, then why did he bring that up? I always wonder why people say they don't want to make an issue of something yet passive agressively act the opposite of what they say.