Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
vintagemotif

[QUOTE=BoJangles;4662871]
Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post

Jon and Monica, I think you are probably on the right track. This machine takes a very long needle. I haven't taken the needle out yet to measure - don't want to take a chance on ruining it - but, it appears to be a Boye 10 or Davis long. The whole machine reminds me of my Davis and my Two Spools. The cabinet is made like a Davis or National Two Spools cabinet - more a square cut, solid, sturdy. Right now the cabinet is dismantled until DH gets it fixed. DH repaired the broken treadle iron already! This is the second Hales Crescent I have seen. There is another one for sale in an antique shop in the town of El Dorado, which means it is not that unusual! This makes me wonder why ISMACS doesn't even list the Hales Crescent on their needle site? I am doubting at this point that this machine is from the Johnson, Flanders, and Company factory of Cresent machines?

Oh the serial number is 1841671, and it is on the slide plate like a Davis - instead of on the bed of the machine somwhere!
Nancy
Nancy, Most Davis cabinets have a distinct look over other cabinets that where made during that time period. The wood used for the top was thicker than most woods used on other cabinets tops . Here is a picture of mine that shows the section of the thick wood. Some collectors has stated that they are able to spot a Davis cabinet across a room just because of this unique feature.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]286072[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3938.jpg