Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 PM
mpeters1200

So, I was playing on the new board and trying to get accustomed to the various search features. I FINALLY had the courage to read through the dismantling and cleaning tutes that Billy made.

I don't know a thing about these vintage machines, or well any machine actually. I posted the pics of mom's FW probably 20-30 pages ago. Do I have to take the tensioner off if I want to clean everything up? I roll the wheel towards me and the needle goes up and down. Everything seems to move smoothly, it just looks kinda gunky. I REALLY don't want to have to take off every single thing. I'm so scared of losing something. I can use a muffin tin or labels or something, but I'm just not sure I want to take off everything.

Also, if you take off the spool pin thing from the top of the FW and look in there, is there a way to get to those pieces in there? They seem to run the whole width of the machine, but the spool pin is only so big.

Also, what are inspection plates? I have a 66 that's very clean, but will occasionally need oil, then I have mom's FW that needs cleaned up.