Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Default Rhonda's New Shortcut Block- Triple Strip Block

Here is a new block I want to share. I have seen squares cut out with strips. So this is my version of this method.

You can see in the first pictures I sewed two strips together. Then I trimmed the middle strip to 1/16th less than an inch. To get a 12 1/2" quilt block you will need to use a 2 1/2" template. So to get the seams to line up right I had to use a slightly less than 1 inch to trim. If you don't care if they overlap then you can use either 1" or 3/4".

I didn't measure my strips but for a 2 1/2" square you will need a 2 1/2" for the left strip and the middle strip will need to be at least 1 1/4". then the last strip should also be at least 1 1/4". I like to allow a bit more for mistakes.

Also I prefer to do these in strips. there will be leftovers but I pulled apart the leftovers and used them to make more Blocks. You can certainly cut out plain squares and cut them on the diagonal to get two triangles for the outside strips if you like. I think the strips are easier and less hassle.

Steps:

Cut three strips
Sew the left strip and the middle strip together
Trim the center strip to 1" or just under 1" (1/16" less)
Sew on the third strip.
Lay the strips on a cutting mat
With a 2 1/2" template using a rotary cutter cut out the square.

There are two differant Blocks. The first one is 3 strips. The second now I split the center strip between two fabrics. You can see in the pictures below how I added the strips together.

Hope you enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails triple-strip-block-001.jpg   triple-strip-block-004.jpg   triple-strip-block-005.jpg   triple-strip-block-007.jpg   triple-strip-block-008.jpg