Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
So, I was playing on the new board and trying to get accustomed to the various search features. I FINALLY had the courage to read through the dismantling and cleaning tutes that Billy made.

I don't know a thing about these vintage machines, or well any machine actually. I posted the pics of mom's FW probably 20-30 pages ago. Do I have to take the tensioner off if I want to clean everything up? I roll the wheel towards me and the needle goes up and down. Everything seems to move smoothly, it just looks kinda gunky. I REALLY don't want to have to take off every single thing. I'm so scared of losing something. I can use a muffin tin or labels or something, but I'm just not sure I want to take off everything.

Also, if you take off the spool pin thing from the top of the FW and look in there, is there a way to get to those pieces in there? They seem to run the whole width of the machine, but the spool pin is only so big.

Also, what are inspection plates? I have a 66 that's very clean, but will occasionally need oil, then I have mom's FW that needs cleaned up.
You do not need to remove everything off that machine to get it adequately cleaned up unless you are wanting to paint the machine or wind up with a parts machine. If you do remove something only remove one gizzmo at a time - like the tension - just remove it, (keep track of how it came off) clean it and put it back - get a diagram and instructions from your user's manual. There are instructions on here how to work on a tension. Search out a Utube video. That goes for the shuttle as well. I seldom remove ALL the parts, they can be cleaned in place most of the time. If you are too afraid, take it to a local shop so you don't have to pay for shipping as well as repairs. I have a bunch of pictures of a Singer 319 that I did without a bunch of disassembly. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html I do plan to take the tension out this afternoon, just because I want to show Iris how and maybe get it cleaner behind there. Maybe we'll get some pics of that job today.