Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Kathy T.

My father served as a motor machinist mate second class on the submarine USS Haddo in WWII. He told the story that their sub had to sneak into the Nagasaki harbor in Japan behind a freightor when the anti-submarine nets were lifted for that Japanese vessel to come in - then, they had to sneak out again the same way. They were in that harbor very shortly before the bomb was dropped and were very fortunate to escape.

I have very mixed emotions about the need for dropping the first bomb - I understand that it might have been very necessary to end that dreadful war in the Pacific and save lives, but one such bomb was enough and I see NO valid reason for the second bomb - the threat of it would have been enough. My father went to college on the GI Bill, made the most of his education and did well in his chosen profession. He has since passed away. RIP, Dad.

Times have changed and I was glad to see the outpouring of support from the US for Japan after the earthquake and tsunami - I made several quilts for the Japan Comfort Quilt effort.

Wars are terrible things and I think we need to do everything we can to support our troops that return from various parts of the world with horrific memories that they cannot shake. God Bless all that serve our country.