View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 PM
SandyQuilter

Default Little Brown Bird applique points

Originally Posted by jetmaio View Post
I have both the book and cd and I have block #1 started. Funny you post just today as I'm ready to quit. I find the pieces for very small and the points on the leaves VERY hard for me to do. I keep reading how but I'm getting lumpy results and I happen to be very particular. Please if you can post a few video using block 1 leaves I would sure appreciate it.
I don't have any photos at work, but let's start at the beginning. How are you laying your leaf pattern on the background fabric? I suggest that the entire design be placed RSU against the wrong side of the background block. Pin in place and tape to a window or use a light box so the design is visible. Next, trace over the design onto the right side of the fabric using a #2 mechanical pencil. Don't use a regular lead pencil as the point will get dull and lay a broad line on the fabric. Trace over the "master pattern" with a light hand--don't press heavily. To check this, slip your hand under the paper and see how dark the pencil lines are--too dark, use a lighter touch. These lines are your sewing lines. When tracing, use the ball of your hand as a pivot point so that the lines are single, not scratched back and forth. Once the master pattern is on the right side of the background block, you're ready to needle turn applique. Stay tuned and I'll try and get photos posted. Sandy