View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I do a variety of stash organizing. Yes, I do keep some groupings together because they are enough for a project .... these I label so I won't forget, like I used to do.

Then I bread down the fabrics into categories: batiks. cats, Christmas, florals, and other themes.

I tend to fold my fabrics differently so I can tell at a glance how much is there. FQ's are folded differently than 1/2 yds, 1 yd, and 2 yds. If needed I can attach a label as to how much I have. Generally the folding is more than enough.

I bought IKEA Antonius system with the non-rusting wire baskets to store my stash. I have 2 sets, one on top of the other. They easily roll out of my closet if needed. Usually all I do is pull out a drawer and I can see what I have without any problem.

With my arthritis pulling out material off shelves would be most uncomfortable. The baskets help me preserve my hand function.

I have a separate Antonius system that fits under my embroidery machine table to put upcoming projects.

At least it looks organized.

ali
"DITTO" I keep all the fabrics together for a project in one of those vinyl zipper bags that you use to buy at your LQS or a small plastic storage box LABELED !! Then I have my fabric sorted by type to in the Ikea Wire Baskets which supports my cutting table. I sort my tonals by colors which are stored in the Iris large stackable drawers I bought @ JAF when they had 50% off storage items.