Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
OK, lets see if I have this right.... If I want a picot hemstitcher for either my 99 or 222, it will work for both, but I would need different cover plates for each. Are the cover plates very easy to get? How expensive are they? I think I still want one, but would have to be sure I can get the cover plates to work with them.
I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm betting that if you go to Sew-Classic, she can. I have the two plates that came with the two hemstitchers that I have. When I bought the Singer hemstitcher, I knew already that the plate would fit my 99. (got it on ebay). The other one is the one I bought first, and thought, at the time, that the cover plate would be "generic" like the coverplates for the buttonholers. I was wrong, and it was a learning experience. So I set out to find a machine that it would work with. I believe I have that machine in my 66-1, but I haven't actually tried it yet. These coverplates are different. You have to take the needleplate off, and replace it with these plates, which are raised a bit to protect the feeddogs as opposed to just keeping the dogs from moving fabric like the buttonhole coverplates do. That "piercer" that penetrates the fabric is a wicked little nail...and when it hits, it hits hard...definitely do NOT want it to hit those dogs, or you'd be replacing them!