View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 06:12 AM
mpspeedy

I have been sewing since I was 8 and quilting since I was 16. One of the most important lesson I learned was good sewing basic information like straight of grain. I have taught a few small quilting classes. I like to start off with a small handquilting project with a square of solid fabric marked for a simple quilt design. If the person enjoys or masters that small project they will go on to learn the rest of the techniques involved. In my mind it is not a quilt until it is quilted. I have seen so many UFOs that were peiced or even appliqued beautifully but never quilted. I am assuming that most of you who have items longarmed do it because you are not interested in the quilting part. That is fine but that is not the way I feel. I recently had a king sized top longarmed. I actually purchased the top from a vendor at our guild show that sold tops made by poor woman as a fund raiser. I am going to give the quilt to my step-daugher for her 20th anniversary. She is a nurse and literaly washes all of her bedding with the sheets. A handquilted item would not survive her attempts to sterilize everything in her house.
I use handquilted items in my house constantly and I machine wash and dry them when necessary but not everytime I change the sheets.

Most quilting classes I have seen offered stop before the sandwhiching and quilting process even starts. It is not my favorite part but like food prep and clean up it is part of the process that is necessary to a meal or to a quilt.
To me quilting is a relaxing passtime. A good excuse to sit and watch a movie or TV program and not feel quilty because my hands are busy.