Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 PM
LyndaOH

I can help you out with this but I need a direction. Are you interested in a meal that includes meat or dairy? A kosher meal won't have the two together. Also wondering if you want a kosher meal or a Jewish meal that's kosher. Many of the things you have in your home already are kosher, but if it's tradition you're looking for I'd probably go with a beef brisket with kasha varnishkas and sweet carrots for side dishes. And don't forget the challah (bread)! If you want our family recipe for brisket (delicious!) and my challah recipe let me know. Kasha varnishkas is a grain (groats) made in a skillet with mushrooms and onions and then mixed with bowtie noodles. In my parents' house ketchup was a must with kasha but when I make it I add seasoning and no ketchup is allowed.

One thing to remember about Jewish cooking is that much of it grew out of the poverty that most eastern European Jews lived in. In addition to the kosher restrictions, because they were so poor less expensive cuts of meat were used and so a lot of the cooking is done on low heat for a long time. Another reason is that Jews don't cook on the Sabbath, so they came up with dishes that could be prepared before the sun set on Friday and cook overnight so they could be eaten for Saturday lunch. Nowadays that's a lot easier because of crockpots but there is a traditional recipe for cholent which filled this requirement. There are many different ways to make it, but basically it's a thick bean, meat and potato stew. I can provide a recipe for that as well.

This is probably way more information than you wanted to know! Enjoy!