View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 AM
linda8450

I learned at 4 yrs old, now 68 and have many machines including embroidery. Just learned to quilt a few years ago (couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would cut up a perfectly good piece of fabric just to sew it back together again!) hehe but life is a learning process. I still have the Singer featherweight I learned on. Mom would take out the thread and make me follow the lines on the old writing paper with wider spacing. Then I drew stars and circles (sort of) and followed those lines. When I got good enough that she felt I could graduate to follow lines and seam allowances she let me thread the machine! I remember she wouldn't do it for me...and it took some doing but I learned. Eventually I was making my own clothes in Jr. Hi, by High school I made prom dresses. Now I sew for others. I have made drapes for a theater, leather chaps for 4H group and 75 square dance dresses all custom fitted! Every time I sit down I thank my Mom, long since gone. My daughter has her bigger Singer, and sews some, but granddaughters are intriqued and watch when they visit. Maybe they will catch this bug, I am so very glad I did. Sewing has kept me sane, made me some money and given much pleasure to my friends and family with the products I send. Please please please, everyone mentor a blossoming sewer! Linda