Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 AM
jlhmnj

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Jon I agree it looks like an industrial machine - tailor's machine/sweat shop machine? It is similar to the industrial Singer's, but different too. No this is a treadle, and from looking at the treadle it is made similar to Singer's straight leg treadle so I'd guess this machine from the 1930 to maybe late 40's? I have a Singer 15-88 with the straight leg treadle similar, but much smaller than this treadle. The treadle is much larger than your normal treadle - it takes a 75" belt and you know that with most treadle you buy the standard 72" belt and have to cut it down! It is a very interesting machine - has the knee pressure foot lift so who ever was using the machine didn't have to move their hands to turn something - very efficient! It also has reverse which means it pretty much had to be made later than 1930! I send an e-mail the Hitachi asking what years they made sewing machines so I could date this machine and got back an answer that they never made sewing machines! The needles I just mentioned because they are from Japan not here, which means a Japanese family sent them to someone here or the machine came over from Japan! There is absolutely no information on this machine that I can find anywhere!

Nancy
Finding the maker of this machine would be similar to finding the maker of a "Japanese Clone" I would imagine. Great machine, this is too nice and a little light for factory work, probably used by skilled pro without AC or just preferred treddlin. Jon
Jon