Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

dakota-
green fairy's DJ is made against a white background - I'm seriously considering... do I dare make two?? I have soooo many Civil War fabrics - but then, there are lots of CW quilt patterns out there - perhaps the Kaffe & bright fabs would be okey doke!

I don't know if it was Janice who asked the question - you can pick whatever fabrics you like - or simply dig into your stash. You need about 7yd of backgrounds - can be all one fabric or different - just make sure they have the same value [all same dark colors or light color....]

I suppose if you put the type of diamond 'feel' on it that greenfairy did on hers with the Kaffe, you could use different color backgrounds. What was done there was that the quiltmaker - one of greenfairy's customers [greenfairy has a longarm quilting machine and will show her quilting on her customer's quilts at her website..http://greenfairyquilts.blogspot.com...ear-jane.html] she started with a dark blue for center blocks and changed the contrast main color against the white background... green yellow orange pink red... in a 'diamond' pattern around the center blocks. I suppose you could do the opposite as well - vary the color of the backgrounds. There are lots and lots of ideas [I've never seen that done - just envisioning it in my head - don't blame me if you try it!! ]

If you are not sure what fabrics you would like - I suggest going to the greenfairy blogsite and also to www.dearjane.com and to http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/2009/01/b-1.html. You will find many links to how others have put their DJs together.

What you do need is either the DJ book or software. There are also special rulers on the market. [I looked through most of my very messy!!!! quilt stuff and couldn't locate them. I will give myself til Christmas and purchase another set as I understand the right rulers are invaluable!!]

Hope that helps!

Welcome to all newbies [and not-so-newbies!]
Gus