View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Rose L

Well, personally, I'm convinced that every shelf should have a quilt hanger under it I mean after all, you get them up on the wall and then what do you do with the space below it? It just looks lonely on a big old wall. I have a shelf I bought on the Nebraska Junk Jaunt this summer. It's a bout 3.5 feet long, has regular wood brackets but they are cut into a hook shape on bottom end of them. What makes it really desirable for a country style decorator like myself is that the closet type pole that hangs on the hooks then has a small hole drilled in each end and a short piece of dowel is then set through the small hole. It's made so the dowel won't slip out of the brackets. I'd love to find a longer one just like it. I also display quilts on an old apple ladder. It was once extremely tall but my ex cut it off and cut it too short. I would like to find one that is nearly as tall as my 12' ceilings so I could hang more than two quilts on it. The apple ladder style is great because the rungs are graduated in length so that smaller quilts that can be hung on a narrow rung at the top and you can progress downward with larger and larger quilts. That way more of each quilt is visible.

While you're making things, ha!, how about some shelves that are similar to the old country style shelves (no heart shaped cut outs please!) with pegs? In the top of the shelf there is usually one plate groove cut in them. I would like to have one that is deeper, maybe 6-7 inches deep that has multiple 1/4" grooves. I would use it to place my quilt rulers in the slots. I have an original one that I am using for that purpose but it just has one groove toward the front, all the rest of my rulers are just stacked behind the first two on the flat of the shelf. These shelves need to be at least 24" long. Leave the pegs as the originals had as they are nice to hang other sewing notions from. I would also like to have a thread rack for very large cone thread. Long and narrow at a reasonable price so I could add more as needed when my thread collection grows. I would like it to be made as the June Tailor racks are made but just in a larger scale with long dowels for the cones to fit and stay well on. My little camera is MIA but if and when I find it, I'll take some pics and try to find this thread again. Harry? Aren't you glad I'm not your wife?? LOL