Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Ok Jon, why do you think this machine is a clone? My Japanese 15 is a clone. I have one "made in occupied Japan" that is a clone. These machines were made by Brother, or White, or somebody with a name stamped on them that has nothing to do with the original maker's name. When White made a machine for someone else to put their name on it, they didn't have "White' stamped all over it? I am confused why this machine that has 'Hitachi" etched, welded, decaled all over the machine would be a clone? I mean it may be, but I am confused as to why you think it can't be made by Hitachi, who makes their own tools right? Just because some clerk told me Hitachi didn't make or sell sewing machines, doesn't mean they never did? You think someone else made the machine and just called it a Hitachi? Anyway, it is fun, but sometimes frustrating to try and find something out about one of these mystery machines.

Second question, why do you think it is too light for factory work. The machine head is very heavy, all steel. The frame is similar to what Singer used in the 1930's and later on their treadle irons, but still very heavy stuff. The cabinet is a no thrills, wood top with one drawer. - a machine made to produce not look at.

I am not doubting you, just trying to pick your brain as to why you think the way you do about this machine. Billy is suppose to be putting together a composite of the Japanese made machines - maybe, he will learn something about this one. I personally think it was owned by a family from Japan, the drawer is full of things from Japan including the needles - maybe, someone had it specially made for them? Anyway, it would be really fun to find a second Hitachi treadle or if it is a clone shouldn't there be others like it?

Nancy
Maybe someone was trying to get something started over here and made up a sample.