View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM
patdesign

Originally Posted by Kuusistoquilter View Post
Does anyone have any ideas of how to teach (entertain) ab 4 yr old who wants to sew with grandma? I have given him yard and thread to play with, but now he wants to learn how to sew? I have some felt, and all I can think of is teaching him the blanket stitch on the edge. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
When my oldest son was about 8 he wanted to sew, so I purchased a kit with large yarns that said Dont bug me, it had a large red lady bug on it, and the background fabric was a woven that looked like coarse linen, we had a good time learning the few stitches that the kit required. That was 42 years ago, and 2 years ago I came across it in the attic and remembered how many years it hung on his bedroom wall. I decided to take it to him last time we visited as I kid him now and tell him this was when he developed his sewing skills. Today he is a neurosurgeon. There are kits and then some of the books specifically geared to teaching young children to sew with projects galore. Try looking at See and Sew, or Of course you can sew. You could also cut out and use an iron on interfacing on some simple shapes like star or fish etc and show him how to blanket stich the appliques on something he can keep and display proudly.