Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
AngelinaMaria

Default Sunny Sewing Rooms--Have You Had UV Damage to Your Fabrics??

My sewing area is in a very sunny nook. I originally had my fabrics in plastic storage boxes but got to the point where I had too much fabric for this to work. I bought two of the $25 bookcases from IKEA (the Kilby style--I highly recommend) so for only $50, I have almost 4 feet across and 7 feet tall which gives me 5 shelves of almost 4 feet each storage. I have been folding my fabric using the corroplast sheets cut down to 8 by 12 inch boards. It is working out great and looks fantastic. However, the big downside is the potential for UV damage to the edges of the fabrics that are exposed.

I am curious how soon or how long it takes to damage the color. I have enough fabric to last 5 to 8 years so I know I need to do something to cut down the UV rays. I am considering having my husband put up the solar screen fabric (we have 80% solar fabric on our sunscreens we use on the front of the house) in front of the bookshelf as a curtain. I am considering the windows, of course, but unfortunately, there are 6 windows and 2 are a special shape that you have to custom order the screen for (an octogon). Have you resorted to the special solar screens for your windows I am talking about or do you "curtain" your fabric somehow to shield it?