Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Wow, that's great info. Nancy. I would have bet money it was a clone or a badged machine.
Why Candace? I never thought it was clone - not with Hitachi written all over the machine; and knowing that Hitachi is an actual manufacturer of tools.

You guys that are still asking why I was told Hitachi never made a sewing machine when I e-mailed Hitachi - I think that was either because I e-mailed the wrong department of Hitachi, I e-mailed the wrong Hitachi, or the clerk that got my e-mail just did a search, came up with nothing, so assumed they had never made a sewing machine. The two sewing machines that Monica found were both in Japan, so it is not a common machine here, they were both made between 1938 and 1940. The 1938 to 1940 time frame may be the only time Hitachi made sewing machines, so maybe those records are not part of the modern Hitachi history. Someone working at Hitachi today wouldn't even know about the 1938 - 1940's. Who knows, some people just don't want to be bothered and maybe whoever answered my e-mail just didn't dig deep enough? Anyway, I am really excited to own something so rare here! I am all stoked up now to finish sanding and staining and varnishing the cabinet!

I noticed the machine Monica posted with the table had the treadle wheel removed and electricity added. The pedal was still there, but not the treadle belt wheel.

Nancy