View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Michellesews

I am a professional longarm quilter and I have had some baaaaaaaad quilts...but I never turn anyone away and if I have a real problem, (like I had to put tucks or something) I explain it to the piecer and I also show them how to avoid this in the future. The WORST thing for a longarm quilter to get is wavy, wonky borders. When you load the quilt, if the borders are stretched or not put on properly, it is a true nightmare. ALWAYS measure through the middle of your top, vertical first, use that exact meaurement to cut your borders, find center of border and center or top, pin, and ease into place. Afterwards, do the same thing with the horizontal...you will never have a wavy border. I am amazed at how many of my clients took a beginning quilting class and this was never even mentioned. If you cut a long strip, sew it on, it will stretch and mess up the entire quilt. I had one sweet lady, it was her first quilt, and I could see right away it was out of square. I removed her borders and fixed them. I had 3 INCHES on every strip extra when I did it the way I described above.
We all began at the beginning, and I do my very best to turn a client's quilt top into a treasure, and just remember, there IS NO PERFECT QUILT. I have yet to piece a quilt top that did not have some little flaw, pucker, block turned wrong, SOMETHING....so relax, enjoy the process and be proud of your creation.
Michelle