Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 AM
ncredbird

When I was a child living in a small farming community my Dad took us to the city 50 miles from home to do some holiday shopping at the mall. He had given us each $20.00 to spend either for ourselves or for family members. I walked the outside mall and couldn't find anything that interested me so still had the money in my pocket as he collected us to leave to go home. There had been this dirty tired looking man sitting propped against a brick building in the sunshine and I had seen him there when I entered and he was still there in the same place when I got ready to leave. The fact that it was Christmas, cold and damp, and my heart told me that he had nowhere to go or family to be with brought me to tears. Right before Dad took us to the car I walked back and placed my Christmas money in his hand and said "Merry Christmas". Dad got angry with me when I got back in the car telling me he was an old drunk and would only spend it on booze, but got really quiet when I explained that I had a warm dry house to go home to and a warm meal waiting and had everything I already needed. That was at least 50 years ago and it still makes me feel warm inside when I think about it. That's really what it's all about.