Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by johnette
I read somewhere that you SHOULD use polyester in baby quilts as it is flame-retardant. I wasn't sure but checked the label on a bag of poly and it did say that.
It's true that polyester does not catch fire easily and burst into flames. That's what they mean by flame-retardant. The problem is that polyester burns even if it doesn't burst into flames. It may be flame-retardant, but it is not burn-retardant. When polyester burns, it melts and emits toxic fumes. If poly melts onto flesh, it creates a deep burn because it sticks (similar to napalm).

There's no perfect batting for baby quilts. Cotton batting is safe, IMO, because it is dense and unlikely to burst into flames. I much prefer cotton batting for baby quilts for a number of reasons, but I can understand why some people like polyester.

The problem with cotton is in loose children's sleepwear, such as a nightgown or loose PJs that allows air to freely reach the fabric from both sides. When this kind of sleepwear is ignited, the garment becomes totally engulfed in flames within a couple of seconds because there is plenty of air available to feed the flames. By the time someone can react, a child's hair will already be on fire. Cotton fabric is safe when the sleepwear is skin-hugging rather than loose.