Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM
RST

Question Looking for scalloped edge inspiration and wisdom

I'm coordinating a group project quilt -- very simple four patch interspersed with some applique blocks. It's pretty, traditional, and pleasant, so far, but I'm thinking it needs a little something more to punch it up and put it into the wow! category.

The fabrics are very subdued pastelly pink/blue/green florals, with scrappy cream tone on tones as background. I have a toille with pink design that coordinates with the fabrics well, and which I think will be the border. However, it is a directional print, which is just one more factor to work with. I'd probably feel the need to keep the design consistently oriented (birds in flight, florals, swirly things).

Anyone have a scalloped edge quilt picture to inspire me? Words of wisdom? How do you decide how big your scallops should be? Is there a formula? Advantages to larger or smaller? The quilt blocks we're working with are small -- 4 inches finished. I was thinking of an 8 or 12 inch scallop (cake plate or dinner plate, roughly) I also realized that I'm unsure how to deal with the corners. Any suggestions?

Thanks--RST