View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Nancy in Louisiana

"...it really isn't as difficult as a lot of you make it out to be." -- mscupid804

Anything new is a challenge to a lot of people who are happy with the way things were. That's what technology is all about. Unfortunately a lot of us are still getting used to computers, etc. Eyesight is a major factor -- the brightness and total jumble of contrasts and colors and sizes of fonts and headings and "cute" add-ons is hard to focus on for a lot of us with problems such as cataracts, etc. It takes us awhile to zone in on what we need to see -- it's hard to find a heading or title when other stuff blares out in bright and bold typeface bigger than the structured headings. I have the largest computer monitor screen I could find and use the biggest font I can get to and I still have problems. I tend to skip over so much "space" and repeated quotes, etc., in an effort to find what I need to read and consequently miss a lot. Also, there are a lot of us who don't have access to high speed internet or in-house (younger kids who are computer literate living with us) support. There's no such thing as "exploring for 5 or 10 minutes". It's more like 1 or 2 hours, and I don't have that much time to spend on the computer each day to explore much less catch up.

I'm not putting down the new structure, but am defending those struggling. Like any new system, there will be bugs and other glitches that were unforeseen at the start. There are many new features that are going to be nice to have, many older features that are going to be harder to get to. Of course there will be a learning curve until everyone catches up. Like many, I feel the loss of the old, familiar board that I felt comfortable with. But I also realize that it has gotten so big and popular that the old format probably just didn't "do it" anymore. Compare it to the corner grocery store that turned into a mega store where the bread is located a half mile away from the milk. Some people will love all the new additions and added inventory while others will long for the bread and milk in the same isle.