Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 AM
QuilterChick

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I have a sweatshirt I am ready to cut into a cardigan. I am just planning on cutting it down the centre, taking the ribbing off and doing something with it. I have already done the covering of one in fabric, this time I would like to leave it as it is. I would like some ideas how to finish the front and raw edges. I picked the shirt up at a re sale store, so am not out much if it does not work. On searching I have not found anything I could really use. Anybody done anything like this? This will be an experiment for sure. Thanks for reading.....

First, make sure the sweatshirt is a larger size than you wear because the front is actually smaller than you would find on a finished jacket. You can finish the edges on a serger if you have one, or use a plain stay stitch around the curves. Some sewers leave the bands on the sleeves and the bottom, makes finishing easier and the shirt fit better around the hips. Once you take the band off the bottom, the shirt is wide around the hips and needs to be altered. There are several tutorials and sewing websites with good ideas on how to make your sweatshirt interesting and some free patterns. I don't have the exact addy, but you could do a search for Mary Mulari, she has several books and information on converting sweatshirts. (I have found too that sweatshirts with set in sleeves work better than the raglans.)