View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 09:49 AM
jljack

YAY!! I love my 301...have had it now for about a year. It was quite a mess when I got it...dirty, dry, no case, etc. She is battle scarred, but after I treated her with oil & motor lube and cleaned her from top to bottom, she sews great!! Her name is Miss Ida after my maternal grandmother. She's a black model from 1951.

As for the potted motor being "stronger" than the exterior motor, I don't necessarily think that is true. All the pre-1960s Singer motors were very strong, with all steel components. All the older machines can sew through just about anything with the right sized needle and some patience.

The 301s and FWs are unique in that they don't need any kind of case or base to sit in. They are completely portable on their own, both a cover plate on the bottom and little feet on the corners so they can sit right on a table. They are both lightweight (FW about 11 lbs, the 301 about 16 lbs), making them perfect for traveling companions.

The 301 has a delightful soft "click click click" sound while sewing. If it gets too loud, it needs to be oiled...and should be oiled at least once a week with heavy sewing, or twice a month for moderate.

I have noticed that the 301s sometimes have tension issues. There is ongoing discussion on this on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop thread. Some people think the tension units need to be set up slightly differently than the other models. I am not sure. I know that my tension is set at 0, and it is just about right. I know it should not be like that, but after trying several different things, it doesn't get better. And this is a new tension unit. If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them.