Old 11-18-2011, 02:46 PM
aneternalpoet

She will be doing just regular piecing, and such.. I will look into the brand you have, and see what our store might carry.. Walmart here carries Brothers, but from what I have heard, the basic ones are pieces of junk according to many who have bought them ..
Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
About five years ago, I was the recipient of just such a gift. My MIL who is an avid quilter, and my husband conspired to buy me a basic sewing machine to get me started quilting. They selected a Viking Emerald 118. There is a 116 that had slightly less features, but my MIL picked the 118 for me because it had the needle down function and she knew I intended to machine quilt with it. So it wasn't quite a basic model, but just above the basic. It has been a great workhorse of a machine, has been easy for me to use, and has been very little trouble. Of the few troubles I had, most were user error and a quick consult of the manual fixed them. I have had no mechanical trouble with it, and have only done basic maintenance (i.e. had her in for a clean and tune up).

I have to be honest, I have not ever sewed on a Bernina or Janome, which seem to be two of the most popular brands, so I have no comparison to offer. I just know I have a great machine that cost under $400 and has been a perfect machine for me to get my feet dirty with. I have often looked at other, fancier machines, but don't see the need to upgrade any time in the near future. My little Viking does everything I need it to.

Good luck with your research and what a lucky daughter!!!